Phone: 08 8128 4361
Bachelor of Health Sciences, University of Adelaide
Bachelor of Science (Hons), University of Adelaide
Doctor of Philosophy (Physiology), University of Adelaide
My current research is focussed on developing better clinical indicators of response to prostate cancer therapy. Such markers are urgently needed in the clinic to guide treatment decision making, and pre-clinically to facilitate the translation of new drugs into therapeutic practice. The basis of my research is a unique ex vivo model of human prostate cancer that I developed as part of my postdoctoral studies. Together with the latest techniques in genomics, proteomics and lipidomics, I am profiling changes associated with therapeutic response to current and emerging treatments for prostate cancer.
14 journal articles and 1 book chapter published since 2006. Publications since 2010 include:
- Butler LM, Ferraldeschi R,Armstrong HK, Centenera MM and Workman P.Maximizing the Therapeutic Potential of Hsp90 Inhibitors. Mol Cancer Res. In press 2015.
- Centenera MM, Carter SL, Gillis JL, Marrocco-Tallarigo DL, Grose RH, Tilley WD and Butler LM. Co-targeting AR and HSP90 suppresses prostate cancer cell growth and prevents resistance mechanisms. Endocr Relat Cancer. pii: ERC-14-0541. In press, 2015.
- Centenera MM*, Moore NL*, Butler LM, Hickey TE and Tilley WD. Androgen and the Androgen Receptor, in: Gelmann E, Sawyers C and Rauscher F III (Eds.), Molecular Oncology: Causes of Cancer and Targets for Treatment, Chapter 32:378-391, 2014. Cambridge University Press, New York. * equal first authors.
- Centenera MM, Raj GV, Knudsen KE, Tilley WD and Butler LM. Ex vivo culture of human prostate tissue and drug development. Nat Rev Urol. 10:483-487, 2013.
- Ravindranathan P, Lee TK, Yang L, Centenera MM, Butler LM, Tilley WD, Hsieh JT, Ahn JM, Raj GV. Peptidomimetic targeting of critical androgen receptor-coregulator interactions in prostate cancer. Nat Commun. 4:1923, 2013.
- Comstock CES, Augello MA, Goodwin JF, de Leeuw R, Schiewer MJ, Ostrander Jr. WF, Burkhart RA, McClendon KA, McCue PA, Trabulsi EJ, Lallas CD, Gomella LG, Centenera MM, Brody JR, Butler LM, Tilley WD and Knudsen KE. Targeting cell cycle and hormone receptor pathways in cancer. Oncogene 32: 5481-5491, 2013.
- Gillis JL, Selth LA, Centenera MM, Townley SL, Sun S, Plymate SR, Tilley WD and Butler LM. Constitutively-active androgen receptor variants function independently of the HSP90 chaperone but do not confer resistance to HSP90 inhibitors. Oncotarget 4: 691-704, 2013.
- Centenera MM, Fitzpatrick A, Tilley WD and Butler LM. Hsp90: Still a viable target in prostate cancer. BBA-Rev Cancer 1835: 211-218, 2013.
- Schiewer MJ, Goodwin JF, Han S, Brenner JC, Augello MA, Dean JL, Liu F, Planck JL, Ravindranathan P, Chinnaiyan AM, McCue P, Gomella LG, Raj GV, Dicker AP, Brody JR, Pascal JM, Centenera MM, Butler LM, Tilley WD, Feng FY and Knudsen KE. Dual roles of PARP-1 promote cancer growth and progression. Cancer Discov 2:1134-1149, 2012.
- Centenera MM, Gillis JL, Hanson A, Jindal S, Taylor RA, Risbridger GP, Sutherland PD, Scher HI, Raj GV, Knudsen KE, Yeadon T for the Australian Prostate Cancer BioResource, Tilley WD and Butler LM. Evidence for efficacy of new Hsp90 inhibitors revealed by ex vivo culture of human prostate tumors. Clin Cancer Res 18: 3562-3570, 2012- featured in Highlights section of Nat Rev Urol 9, 356 (July 2012).
- Chiam K, Centenera MM, Tilley WD, Butler LM and Bianco-Miotto T. GSTP1 DNA methylation and expression status is indicative of 5-aza-2'-deoxycytidine efficacy in human prostate cancer cells. PLoS One 6:e25634, 2011.
- Butler LM, Daly R, Tilley WD, Horvath LG and Centenera MM. Molecular hallmarks of heat shock protein 90 inhibition in prostate cancer. Cancer Australia, 2015-2017; $562,030.
- Centenera MM. Explant technology for biomarker discovery of androgen receptor targeted therapies. Prostate Cancer Foundation of Australia Young Investigator Grant, 2013; $AUD 450,000.
- Centenera MM and Butler LM. Evaluation of biomarkers of response to Hsp90 inhibition in human prostate cancer. Royal Adelaide Hospital Clinical Project Grant, 2013; $ 40,000.
- Butler LM, Centenera MM, Claessens F, Swinnen J. Exploiting metabolic alterations to more accurately monitor prostate cancer therapy. Prostate Cancer Foundation of Australia New Directions Development Award, 2012; $299,817.
- Centenera MM, Butler LM and Tilley WD. Identification of biomarkers of response to Hsp90 inhibition in human prostate cancer. Royal Adelaide Hospital Clinical Project Grant, 2011; $25,000.