Phone: 8128 4694
Doctorate of Philosophy, conferred 3rd August 2009, Department of Medicine, University of Adelaide, Adelaide.
Bachelor of Medical and Pharmaceutical Biotechnology (Honours), conferred 12th April 2005, Division of Health Sciences, University of South Australia, Adelaide.
In recent years, our laboratory has demonstrated that the PI3K and mTOR pathways are crucial regulators of bone remodelling both in vitro and in vivo, and that chemical inhibitors of these pathways are potential treatments for patients afflicted with skeletal fragility (eg. osteoporosis, tumour-associated bone loss). My current research is focussed on extending these findings and examining (i) the role of the mTOR signalling pathways in mesenchymal stem cell biology, (ii) the role of the mTOR signalling pathways in regulating skeletal biology and bone remodelling, and (iii) the role of skeletal mTOR signalling in regulating systemic glucose metabolism.
- Forristal C.E., Brown A., Helwani F.M., Winkler I.G., Nowlan B., Powell J., Engler G., Diakiw S.M., Zannettino A.C.W., Martin, S.K., Pattabiraman D., DÁndrea R., Lewis I., Levesque J.P. Hypoxia inducible factor (HIF-2a) enhances proliferation of malignant hematopoietic cells and disease progression in the hypoxic malignant bone marrow. Manuscript accepted, Leukemia.
- Cheong, C.M., Chow, A.W., Fitter, S., Hewett, D.R., Martin, S.K., Williams, S.A., To, L.B., Zannettino, A.C.W., and Vandyke, K. (2015). Tetraspanin 7 (TSPAN7) regulates multiple myeloma cell transendothelial migration and adhesion. Experimental Cell Research. 332(1): 24-38.
- Martin, S.K, Dutta, A.K., Matthews, M.P., Fitter, S., and Zannettino, A.C.W. (2015) The differential roles of mTORC1 and mTORC2 in mesenchymal stem cell differentiation. Stem Cells. doi: 10.1002/stem.1931. Epub ahead of print.
- Martin, S.K, Gan, Z.Y., Fitter, S., and Zannettino, A.C.W. (2015). The effect of the PI3K inhibitor, NVP-BKM120, on myeloma tumour growth and bone remodelling. Leukemia Research. 39(3): 380-387.
- Gan, Z.Y., Fitter, S., Vandyke, K., Zannettino, A.C.W., and Martin, S.K. (2014) The effect of the dual PI3K and mTOR inhibitor, NVP-BEZ235, on myeloma tumour growth and bone remodelling. European Journal of Haematology, doi: 10.1111/ejh.12436. Epub ahead of print.
- Martin, S.K., Diamond, P., Gronthos, S., Peet, D.J., and Zannettino, A.C.W. (2011) The emerging role of hypoxia, HIF-1 and HIF-2 in multiple myeloma. Leukemia, 25(10): 1533-1542.
- Williams, S.A.*, Martin, S.K.*, Vincent, C., Gronthos, S., Zheng, T., Atkins, G.J., and Zannettino, A.C.W. (2010) Circulating levels of TWEAK correlate with bone erosion in multiple myeloma patients. British Journal of Haematology, 150(3): 373-376.
- Martin, S.K.*, Fitter, S.*, Bong, L.F., Drew, J., Gronthos, S., Shepherd, P., and Zannettino, A.C.W. (2010) NVP-BEZ235, a dual pan class I PI3 kinase and mTOR inhibitor, promotes osteogenic differentiation of human mesenchymal stromal cells. Journal of Bone and Mineral Research, 25(10):2126-2137
- Psaltis, P.J., Paton, S., See, F., Arthur, A., Martin, S.K., Itescu, S., Worthley, S.G., Gronthos, S., and Zannettino, A.C.W. (2010) Enrichment for STRO-1 expression enhances the cardiovascular paracrine activity of human bone marrow-derived mesenchymal cell populations. Journal of Cellular Physiology, 223(2):530-540
- Martin, S.K., Diamond, P., To, L.B., Peet, D.J., Gronthos, S., and Zannettino, A.C.W. (2010) Hypoxia-inducible factor-2 is a novel regulator of aberrant CXCL12 expression in multiple myeloma plasma cells. Haematologica, 95(5):776-784.
Mary Overton Early Career Research Fellowship, May 2012-May 2015, Royal Adelaide Hospital Research Committee.
Early Career Investigator Award, June 2012, Centre for Cancer Biology, SA Pathology, Adelaide.
Best Stem Cell Paper, December 2010, Centre for Stem Cell Research, University of Adelaide, Adelaide.
University Doctoral Research Medal, April 2010, University of Adelaide, Adelaide
Albert Baikie Medal, October 2009, Haematological Society of Australia and New Zealand.
Postgraduate Travelling Fellowship, June 2007, University of Adelaide, Adelaide.
Australian Postgraduate Award Scholarship, March 2005-September 2008, University of Adelaide, Adelaide.
Winifred S. Steele Scholarship, March 2005-March 2008, University of Adelaide, Adelaide.
Centre for Stem Cell Research Project Grant 2012, The role of raptor and rictor in MSC differentiation, AUD$75,000
Novartis Pharmaceuticals Project Grant 2011, Can the dual PI3K/mTOR inhibitor NVP-BEZ235 be used to stimulate bone formation in multiple myeloma? AUD$75,000.