Qualifications: BSc (Flinders University); MSc (University of South Australia); PhD (University of Adelaide)
Biography: PhD (Conferred, 1999) Department of Orthopaedics Surgery and Trauma, Faculty of Health Science, The University of Adelaide, SA, Australia.
(1999-2001) Research Fellow, Institute of Dental & Craniofacial Research, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD, USA in the laboratory of Dr. Pamela Gehron Robey, a world authority on bone development and stem cell and bone biology. My postgraduate studies and postdoctoral training resulted in several seminal publications describing the identification of purified populations of mesenchymal stem cells from bone marrow, adipose and dental tissues. This work led to the generation of a stem cell patent family with my Australian and USA colleagues. (2002) I returned to Adelaide on a Royal Adelaide Hospital Florey Fellowship, and founded the Mesenchymal Stem Cell Laboratory within the Division of Haematology, IMVS/Hanson Institute. (2004) I was awarded a NHMRC R.D. Wright Fellowship. (2007) I was appointed Co-Director of the University of Adelaide Centre for Stem Cell Research (honorary position) and awarded an Affiliate Associate Professor (Level D) through the Department of Medicine, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Adelaide. (2008) I was awarded a NHMRC Senior Research Fellowship Level A. (2011) I was promoted to Affiliate Professor (Level E), through the Department of Medicine, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Adelaide. (2013) I was awarded an NHMRC Principal Research Fellowship through the School of Medical Sciences, Faculty of Health Sciences University of Adelaide. (2014) I was invited to relocate my laboratory as a University of Adelaide representative into the newly built South Australian Health and Medical Research Institute (SAHMRI).
Research focus: The Mesenchymal Stem Cell Laboratory investigates the origin and biological properties of different postnatal mesenchymal stem cell (MSC) populations, that give rise to supportive connective tissues such as myelosupportive stroma, adipose tissue, smooth muscle, cardiac muscle, bone, cartilage, ligament, cementum and dentin. Our work seeks to identify critical genes and epigenetic factors that regulate MSC self-renewal, proliferation, migration and differentiation. In addition, research efforts have focused on identifying the factors central to MSC mediated regulation of haematopiesis, angiogenesis and immune cell modulation. Importantly, many of these molecular processes are considered underlying causes of chronic diseases and tumour cell development. Current research interests/ collaborations:(1) Molecular mechanisms of skeletal tissue regeneration (Collaborators: Prof. ACW Zannettino, Prof. D Findlay, Prof. N Sims). (2) Interactions between human stromal and haematopoietic cells in bone remodelling and disease, (Collaborator: Prof. ACW Zannettino, A/Prof. L Purton). (3) Periodontal mesenchymal stem cells and iPSC derivatives for periodontal regeneration (Collaborators Prof. PM Bartold and Prof. S. Shi). (4) Bone marrow stem cells for the repair of ischaemic cardiac and neural tissues (Collaborators Prof. ACW Zannettino, Dr. P. Psaltis; Prof. S. Worthley; Prof. S Koblar).
Commercialisation/ Translation: Together with Prof. Andrew Zannettino our stem cell based patent family was used to establish the commercial entity, Mesoblast Ltd., the world’s largest stem cell based company. Our basic research activities have progressed into Phase II/III human clinical trails for orthopaedic, cardiovascular, cancer and immune based indications. Our continuing research into the basic properties of MSC will help develop more effective and safer stem cell based therapeutic options in the future for a wide variety of clinical diseases and conditions.
- Martin SK, Diamond P, Williams SA, To LB, Peet DJ, Fujii N, Gronthos S, Harris AL, Zannettino AC (2010). The HIF-2 transcription factor is a novel regulator of aberrant CXCL12 expression in multiple myeloma plasma cells.Haematologica. 95(5):776-84.
- Castrechini NM, Murthi P, Gude NM, Erwich JJ, Gronthos S, Zannettino A, Brennecke SP, Kalionis B (2010). Mesenchymal stem cells in human placental chorionic villi reside in a vascular Niche.Placenta. 31(3):203-12.
- Mrozik KM, Zilm PS, Bagley C, Hack S, Hoffmann P, Gronthos S, Bartold PM (2010). Proteomic characterization of mesenchymal stem cell-like populations derived from ovine periodontal ligament, dental pulp and bone marrow: analysis of differentially expressed proteins.Stem Cells Dev.19(10):1485-99.
- Psaltis PJ, Zannettino ACW, Gronthos S, Worthley SG (2010).Intramyocardial Navigation and Mapping for Stem Cell Delivery. Journal of Cardiovascular Translational Research.3:135-146.
- Menicanin D, Bartold PM, Zannettino AC, Gronthos S (2010). Identification of a Common Gene Expression Signature Associated with Immature Clonal Mesenchymal Cell Populations derived from Bone Marrow and Dental Tissues.Stem Cells and Development.19(10):1501-10.
- Psaltis PJ, Paton S, See F, Arthur A, Martin S, Itescu S, Worthley SG, *Gronthos S, *Zannettino AC (2010). Enrichment for STRO-1 expression enhances the cardiovascular paracrine activity of human bone marrow-derived mesenchymal cell populations.Journal of Cellular Physiology. 223(2):530-40. *Co-senior authors.
- Ghosh P, Wu J, Shimmon S, Zannettino AC, Gronthos S, Itescu S (2010). Pentosan polysulfate promotes proliferation and chondrogenic differentiation of adult human bone marrow-derived mesenchymal precursor cells.Arthritis Research and Therapy. Feb 18;12(1):R28. [Epub ahead of print].
- Williams SA, Martin SK, Vincent C, Gronthos S, Zheng T, Atkins GJ, Zannettino AC (2010). Circulating levels of TWEAK correlate with bone erosion in multiple myeloma patients. British Journal of Haematology.150(3):373-6.
- Martin SK, Fitter S, Bong LF, Drew JJ, Gronthos S, Shepherd PR, Zannettino AC (2010). NVP-BEZ235, a dual pan class I PI3 kinase and mTOR inhibitor, promotes osteogenic differentiation in human mesenchymal stromal cells. Journal of Bone and Mineral Research. 25(10):2126-37.
- Yamaza T, Kentaro A, Chen C, Liu Y, Shi Y, Gronthos S, Wang S, Shi S (2010). Immunomodulatory properties of stem cells from human exfoliated deciduous teeth. Stem Cell Research and Therapy. 15;1(1):5.
- Peter J Psaltis, Angelo Carbone, Adam J Nelson, Dennis H Lau, Troy Jantzen, Jim Manavis, Kerry Williams, Silviu Itescu, Prashanthan Sanders, Stan Gronthos, Andrew CW Zannettino, Stephen G Worthley (2010). Reparative Effects of Allogeneic Mesenchymal Precursor Cells Delivered Transendocardially in Experimental Nonischemic Cardiomyopathy. Journal of the American College of Cardiology: Cardiovascular Interventions. 3(9): 974-983.
- Goldschlager T, Ghosh P, Zannettino A, Gronthos S, Rosenfeld JV, Itescu S, Jenkin G. Cervical motion preservation using mesenchymal progenitor cells and pentosan polysulfate, a novel chondrogenic agent: preliminary study in an ovine model. Neurosurgical Focus. 2010 Jun; 28(6):E4.
- Cakouros D, Raices RM, Gronthos S, Glackin CA (2010). Twist-ing cell fate: Mechanistic insights into the role of twist in lineage specification/differentiation and tumorigenesis. Journal of Cellular Biochemistry. 110(6):1288-98.
- Reichert JC, Woodruff MA, Friis T, Quent VM, Gronthos S, Duda GN, Schütz MA, Hutmacher DW (2010). Ovine bone- and marrow-derived progenitor cells and their potential for scaffold-based bone tissue engineering applications in vitro and in vivo. Journal of Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine. 4(7):565-76.
- Mrozik K, Gronthos S, Shi S, Bartold PM (2010). A method to isolate, purify and characterize human periodontal ligament stem cells. Methods in Molecular Biology; 666: 269-284.
- Zannettino AC, Paton S, Itescu S, Gronthos S (2010). Comparative Assessment of the Osteoconductive Properties of Different Biomaterials In Vivo Seeded With Human or Ovine Mesenchymal Stem/Stromal Cells. Tissue Engineering Part A. 16(12):3579-87.
- McCarty RC, Xian CJ, Gronthos S, Zannettino AC, Foster BK (2010). Application of autologous bone marrow derived mesenchymal stem cells to an ovine model of growth plate cartilage injury. Open Orthopedic Journal. 4:204-210.
- Wada N, Bartold PM, Gronthos S (2011). Human Foreskin Fibroblasts Exert Immunomodulatory Properties by a Different Mechanism to Bone Marrow Mesenchymal Stem Cells. Stem Cells and Development. 20(4):647-59.
- Arthur A, Zannettino A, Panagopoulos R, Koblar SA, Sims NA, Stylianou C, Matsuo K, Gronthos S (2011). EphB/ephrin-B interactions mediate human MSC attachment, migration and osteochondral differentiation. Bone.48(3):533-42.
- Gronthos S. and Zannettino ACW (2011). Methods for the Purification and Characterization of Human Adipose Derived Stem Cells. Methods in Molecular Biology, 702:109-120.
- See F, Seki T, Psaltis PJ, Sondermeijer HP, Gronthos S, Zannettino AC, Govaert KM, Schuster MD, Kurlansky PA, Kelly DJ, Krum H, Itescu S (2011). Therapeutic Effects of Human STRO-3-Selected Mesenchymal Precursor Cells and their Soluble Factors in Experimental Myocardial Ischemia. Journal of Cellular and Molecular Medicine. 15(10):2117-29.
- Psaltis PJ, Carbone A, Leong DP, Lau DH, Nelson AJ, Kuchel T, Jantzen T, Manavis J, Williams K, Sanders P, Gronthos S, Zannettino AC, Worthley SG (2011). Assessment of myocardial fibrosis by endoventricular electromechanical mapping in experimental nonischemic cardiomyopathy. International Journal of Cardiovascular Imaging. 27(1):25-37.
- Field JR, McGee M, Stanley R, Ruthenbeck G, Papadimitrakis T, Zannettino A, Gronthos S, Itescu S (2011). The efficacy of allogeneic mesenchymal precursor cells for the repair of an ovine tibial segmental defect. Vet Comp Orthop Traumatol.24(2):113-121.
- Wada N, Wang B, Lin NH, Laslett AL, Gronthos S, Bartold PM (2011). Induced pluripotent stem cell lines derived from human gingival fibroblasts and periodontal ligament fibroblasts. Journal of Periodontal Research. 46(4):438-47.
- Martin SK, Diamond P, Gronthos S, Peet DJ, Zannettino AC (2011). The emerging role of hypoxia, HIF-1 and HIF-2 in multiple myeloma. Leukemia. 25(10):1533-42.
- Andersen DC, Kortesidis A, Zannettino AC, Kratchmarova I, Chen L, Jensen ON, Teisner B, Gronthos S, Jensen CH, Kassem M (2011). Development of novel monoclonal antibodies that define differentiation stages of human stromal (mesenchymal) stem cells. Mol Cells. 32(2):133-42.
- Gronthos S, Arthur A, Bartold PM, Shi S. (2011). A method to isolate and culture expand human dental pulp stem cells. Methods Mol Biol. 698:107-21.
- Kémoun P, Gronthos S, Snead ML, Rue J, Courtois B, Vaysse F, Salles JP, Brunel G (2011). The role of cell surface markers and enamel matrix derivatives on human periodontal ligament mesenchymal progenitor responses in vitro. Biomaterials. 32(30):7375-88.
- Gronthos S (2011). The therapeutic potential of dental pulp cells: more than pulp fiction? Cytotherapy. 13(10):1162-3.
- Mrozik KM, Gronthos S, Menicanin D, Marino V, Bartold PM (2012). Effect of coating Straumann® Bone Ceramic with Emdogain on mesenchymal stromal cell hard tissue formation. Clin Oral Investig. 16(3):867-78.
- Xiong J, Mrozik KM, Gronthos S*, Bartold PM* (2012). Epithelial Cell Rests of Malassez contain unique stem cell populations capable of undergoing epithelial-mesenchymal transition. Stem Cells and Development. 21(11):2012-25. (*) co-senior authors.
- Cakouros D, Isenmann S, Cooper L, Zannettino A, Anderson P, Glackin C, Gronthos S (2012). Twist-1 induces Ezh2 recruitment regulating histone methylation along the Ink4A/Arf locus in mesenchymal stem cells. Mol Cell Biol.32(8):1433-1441.
- Ghosh P, Moore R, Vernon-Roberts B, Goldschlager T, Pascoe D, Zannettino A, Gronthos S, Itescu S (2012). Immunoselected STRO-3(+) mesenchymal precursor cells and restoration of the extracellular matrix of degenerate intervertebral discs. J Neurosurg Spine. 16(5):479-88.
- Fitter S, Vandyke K, Gronthos S, Zannettino A (2012). Suppression of PDGF induced PI3 kinase activity by imatinib promotes adipogenesis and adiponectin secretion. J Mol Endocrinol. 48(3):229-40.
- Hynes K, Menicanin D, Gronthos S, Bartold PM. Clinical utility of stem cells for periodontal regeneration (2012). Periodontol 2000. 59(1):203-27.
- Leong WK, Henshall TL, Arthur A, Kremer KL, Lewis MD, Helps SC, Field J, Hamilton-Bruce MA, Warming S, Manavis J, Vink R, Gronthos S+, Koblar SA+ (2012). Human adult dental pulp stem cells enhance post stroke functional recovery through non-neural replacement mechanisms. Stem CellsTransplantational Medicine. 1(3):177-187. (+) Co-senior authors.
- Akiyama K, Chen C, Gronthos S, Shi S (2012). Lineage differentiation of mesenchymal stem cells from dental pulp, apical papilla, and periodontal ligament. Methods Mol Biol. 887:111-21.
- Castrechini NM, Murthi P, Qin S, Kusuma GD, Wilton L, Abumaree M, Gronthos S, Zannettino A, Gude NM, Brennecke SP, Kalionis B (2012). Decidua Parietalis-Derived Mesenchymal Stromal Cells Reside in a Vascular Niche Within the Choriodecidua. Reprod Sci.19(12):1302-14.
- Akiyama K, You YO, Yamaza T, Chen C, Tang L, Jin Y, Chen XD, Gronthos S, Shi (2012). Characterization of bone marrow derived mesenchymal stem cells in suspension. Stem Cell Research & Therapy. 3(5):40.
- Ge S, Mrozik KM, Menicanin D, Gronthos S, Bartold PM (2012). Isolation and characterization of mesenchymal stem cell-like cells from healthy and inflamed gingival tissue: potential use for clinical therapy. Regen Med. 7(6):819-32.
- Gronthos S (2012). Five years of Stem Cell Research – Reflections on progress in the field. The long and arduous quest for the development of cellular therapies using tissue specific mesenchymal stem cell. Stem Cell Research. 9:278. Commentary.
- Richardson JD, Nelson AJ, Zannettino AC, Gronthos S, Worthley SG, Psaltis PJ (2013). Optimization of the Cardiovascular Therapeutic Properties of Mesenchymal Stromal/Stem Cells-Taking the Next Step. Stem Cell Rev.9(3):281-302.
- Arthur A, Panagopoulos RA, Cooper L, Menicanin D, Parkinson IH, Codrington JD, Vandyke K, Zannettino AC, Koblar SA, Sims NA, Matsuo K, Gronthos S (2013). EphB4 enhances the process of endochondral ossification and inhibits remodelling during bone fracture repair. J Bone Miner Res. 28(4):926-35.
- Songtao Shi and Stan Gronthos (2013). Bone marrow Mesenchymal Stem Cells. In: Stem Cells in Craniofacial Development and Regeneration. Editors: George T-J and Irma Thesleff. John Wiley & Sons, Inc., Hoboken, NJ –Blackwell. Chapter 11; pp 223-240.
- Lei Wang, Christian Morsczeck, Stan Gronthos and Songtao Shi (2013). Regulation and Differentiation Potential of Dental Mesenchymal Stem Cells. In: Stem Cells in Craniofacial Development and Regeneration. Editors: George T-J and Irma Thesleff. John Wiley & Sons, Inc., Hoboken, NJ –Blackwell. Chapter 11; pp 303-314.
- Frith JE, Cameron AR, Menzies DJ, Ghosh P, Whitehead DL, Gronthos S, Zannettino AC, Cooper-White JJ. (2013). An injectable hydrogel incorporating mesenchymal precursor cells and pentosan. polysulphate for intervertebral disc regeneration. Biomaterials. 34(37):9430-40.
- Xiong J, Gronthos S, Bartold PM. (2013). Role of the epithelial cell rests of Malassez in the development, maintenance and regeneration of periodontal ligament tissues. Periodontol 2000. 63(1):217-233.
- Wada N, Gronthos S, Bartold PM. (2013). Immunomodulatory effects of stem cells. Periodontol 2000. 63(1):198-216.
- Hynes K, Menicanin D, Han J, Marino V, Mrozik K, Gronthos S, Bartold PM. (2013). Mesenchymal stem cells from iPS cells facilitate periodontal regeneration. Journal of Dental Research. 92(9):833-839.
- Richardson JD, Bertaso AG, Frost L, Psaltis PJ, Carbone A, Koschade B, Wong DT, Nelson AJ, Paton S, Williams K, Azarisman S, Worthley MI, Teo KS, Gronthos S, Zannettino AC, Worthley SG. (2013). Cardiac magnetic resonance, transthoracic and transoesophageal echocardiography: a comparison of in vivo assessment of ventricular function in rats. Laboratory Animals.47(4):291-300.
- Ghaemi SR, Harding FJ, Delalat B, Gronthos S, Voelcker NH. (2013). Exploring the mesenchymal stem cell niche using high throughput screening. Biomaterials. 34(31):7601-7615.
- Richardson JD, Bertaso AG, Psaltis PJ, Frost L, Carbone A, Paton S, Nelson AJ, Wong DT, Worthley MI, Gronthos S*, Zannettino AC*, Worthley SG* (2013). Impact of timing and dose of mesenchymal stromal cell therapy in a preclinical model of acute myocardial infarction. Journal of Cardiac Failure. May;19(5):342-353.*Co-senior authors.
- Nguyen T, Arthur A, Hayball J, Gronthos S (2013). EphB and ephrin-B interactions mediate human mesenchymal stem cell suppression of activated T-cells. Stem Cells Dev. 22(20): 2751-2764.
- Agnieszka Arthur, Andrew Zannettino, Stan Gronthos (2013). Multipotential Mesenchymal Stromal/ Stem Cells in Skeletal Tissue Repair. Chapter 5, In: Stem Cells and Bone Tissue. Editors: Victor R Preedy, Rajkumar Rajendrum, Vinood B Patel. CRC Press, Scientific Publishers, Boca Raton, FL, USA, pages 82-102.
- Mrozik KM, Wada N, Marino V, Richter W, Shi S, Wheeler DL, Gronthos S, Bartold PM (2013). Regeneration of periodontal tissues using allogeneic periodontal ligament stem cells in an ovine model. Regenerative Medicine. 8(6):711-723.
- Hemming S, Cakouros D, Isenmann S, Cooper L, Menicanin D, Zannettino A, Gronthos S (2014). EZH2 and KDM6A act as an epigenetic switch to regulate mesenchymal stem cell lineage specification. Stem Cells. 32(3):802-815.
- Richardson JD, Psaltis PJ, Frost L, Paton S, Carbone A, Bertaso AG, Nelson AJ, Wong DT, Worthley MI, Gronthos S*, Zannettino AC*, Worthley SG* (2014). Incremental benefits of repeated mesenchymal stromal cell administration compared with solitary intervention after myocardial infarction. Cytotherapy. 16(4):460-470. *Co-senior authors.
- Han J, Menicanin D, Gronthos S, Bartold P (2014). Stem cells, tissue engineering and periodontal regeneration. Australian Dental Journal. 59 Suppl 1:117-130.
- Noll JE, Williams SA, Tong CM, Wang H, Quach JM, Purton LE, Pilkington K, To LB, Evdokiou A, Gronthos S, Zannettino AC (2014). Myeloma plasma cells alter the bone marrow microenvironment by stimulating the proliferation of mesenchymal stromal cells. Haematologica. 99(1):163-171.
- Han J, Menicanin D, Marino V, Ge S, Mrozik K, Gronthos S, Bartold PM (2014). Assessment of the regenerative potential of allogeneic periodontal ligament stem cells in a rodent periodontal defect model. Journal of Periodontal Research. 49(3):333-345.
- Frith JE, Menzies DJ, Cameron AR, Ghosh P, Whitehead DL, Gronthos S, Zannettino AC, Cooper-White JJ (2014). Effects of bound versus soluble pentosan polysulphate in PEG/HA-based hydrogels tailored for intervertebral disc regeneration. Biomaterials.35(4):1150-1162.
- Hynes K, Menicanin D, Mrozik KM, Gronthos S, Bartold PM (2014). Generation of functional mesenchymal stem cells from different induced pluripotent stem cell lines. Stem Cells Dev. 23(10):1084-1096.
- Haridas V, Sadanandan S, Collart-Dutilleul PY, Gronthos S, Voelcker NH (2014). Lysine-appended polydiacetylenes scaffolds for human mesenchymal stem cells. Biomacromolecules.15(2):582-590.
- Menicanin D, Mrozik KM, Wada N, Marino V, Shi S, Bartold PM, Gronthos S (2014). Periodontal Ligament Derived Stem Cells Exhibit the Capacity for Long-Term Survival, Self-Renewal and Regeneration of Multiple Tissue Types in Vivo. Stem Cells Dev. 23(9):1001-1011.
- Hynes K., Gronthos S. and Bartold P.M. (2014). iPSC for Dental Tissue Regeneration. Current Oral Health Reports. 1:9–15.
- Sivanathan KN, Gronthos S, Rojas-Canales D, Thierry B, Coates PT (2014). Interferon-Gamma Modification of Mesenchymal Stem Cells: Implications of Autologous and Allogeneic Mesenchymal Stem Cell Therapy in Allotransplantation. Stem Cell Rev. 10(3):351-375.
- Wada N, Maeda H, Hasegawa D, Gronthos S, Bartold PM, Menicanin D, Fujii S, Yoshida S, Tomokiyo A, Monnouchi S, Akamine A (2014). Semaphorin 3A induces mesenchymal stem-like properties in human periodontal ligament cells. Stem Cells Dev. 23(18):2225-2236.
- Hemming SE, Cakouros D, Gronthos S (2014). Detachment of mesenchymal stem cells with Trypsin/EDTA has no affect on apoptosis detection. Stem Cells. 32(7):1991-1992.
- Bright R, Hynes K, Gronthos S, Bartold PM. Periodontal ligament-derived cells for periodontal regeneration in animal models: a systematic review. J Periodontal Res. 2014 Jun 26. doi: 0.1111/jre.12205. [Epub ahead of print].
- Ivanovski S, Vaquette C, Gronthos S, Hutmacher DW, Bartold PM. Multiphasic scaffolds for periodontal tissue engineering. J Dent Res. 2014 93(12):1212-1221.
- Hynes K, Menicanin D, Gronthos S, Bartold MP. Differentiation of iPSC to Mesenchymal Stem-Like Cells and Their Characterization. Methods Mol Biol. 2014 Dec 3. [Epub ahead of print].
- Cakouros D, Isenmann S, Hemming SE, Menicanin D, Camp E, Zannettino AC, Gronthos S. Novel basic Helix Loop Helix Transcription Factor Hes4 Antagonizes the Function of Twist-1 to Regulate Lineage Commitment of Bone Marrow Stromal/ Stem Cells. Stem Cells Dev. 2015 Jan 12. [Epub ahead of print].
- Martin SK, Fitter S, Dutta AK, Matthews MP, Walkley CR, Hall MN, Ruegg MA, Gronthos S, Zannettino AC. The differential roles of mTORC1 and mTORC2 in mesenchymal stem cell differentiation. Stem Cells. 2014 Dec 23. doi: 10.1002/stem.1931. [Epub ahead of print].
- Jackson M, Derrick Roberts A, Martin E, Rout-Pitt N, Gronthos S, Byers S. Mucopolysaccharidosis enzyme production by bone marrow and dental pulp derived human mesenchymal stem cells. Mol Genet Metab. 2015 Feb 12. pii: S1096-7192(15)00037-2. doi: 10.1016/j.ymgme.2015.02.001. [Epub ahead of print].
National Health & Medical Research Council, Principal Research Fellowship # APP1042677 (AUD $714,745) 2013-2017. Title: Mesenchymal stem cells in bone regeneration and repair. Principal Investigator: Stan Gronthos.
National Health & Medical Research Council, Project Grant # APP1083704 (AUD$ $548,347) 2015-2017. Title: The role of ephrinB1 reverse signalling in osteogenic differentiation during skeletal development and osteoporosis. Chief investigators: Stan Gronthos, Agnes Arthur and Andrew Zannettino.
Channel 7 Children’s Research Foundation Grant ($75,000) 2015. Identification of Twist-1 regulated microRNAs which control cranial bone development in Children. Principal Investigators: S. Gronthos, Esther Camp-Dotlic, Peter Anderson.
National Health & Medical Research Council, Project Grant # APP1046053 (AUD$466,044.64) 2013-2015. Title: Twist-1 inhibits MSC osteoblast differentiation during osteoporosis via direct regulation of the Wnt signalling pathway. Chief investigators: Stan Gronthos and Andrew Zannettino.
National Health & Medical Research Council, Project Grant # APP1043994 (AUD$802,470.63) 2013-2015. Title: Comparison of periodontal ligament stem cells and induced pluripotent periodontal ligament stem cells for periodontal regeneration. Chief investigators: Mark Bartold, Stan Gronthos, Saso Ivanovski, Dietmar Hutmacher.
National Health & Medical Research Council, Project Grant #APP1023390 (AUD $591,010) 2012-2014. Title: Mesenchymal Stem Cell maintenance and recruitment during skeletal repair are dependent on EphB-ephrinB signalling. Principal Investigators: S. Gronthos, A.C.W. Zannettino.
National Health & Medical Research Council, Project Grant #APP1030528 (AUD$543,675) 2012-2014. Title: The Role of Raptor and Rictor Signalling Pathways in Osteogenesis and Mesenchymal Stem Cell Fate Determination Investigator(s): Zannettino A, Gronthos S, Fitter S.
Adelaide Research Innovation Commercialization Grant (AUD$100,000) 2014. Title: Characterisation of the molecular target of the monoclonal antibody STRO-1, in mesenchymal stem cell mediated tissue repair and immune modulation. Principal investigators: Zannettino A, Gronthos S, Fitter S.
Australian Cancer Research Foundation Infrastructure Grant ($1.8 million) 2013. South Australian Innovative Cancer Imaging and Therapeutics Facility, SAHMRI. C. Mulligan, T. Hughes, A. Zannettino, D. White, S. Gronthos, D. O’Keefe, G. Goodall, B. To, T. Monro.
Centre for Stem Cell Research, Robinson Institute, University of AdelaideCollaborative Grant ($65,000) 2013. Project: Understanding the mechanisms of aberrant bone formation in Saethre-Chotzen syndrome patients with Twist-1 mutations. Investigators: S Gronthos and A Zannettino
National Health & Medical Research Council, Senior Research Fellowship #508087(AUD $537,500) 2008-2012. Principal Investigator: Gronthos S.
National Health & Medical Research Council, Project Grant #626910 (AUD $583,500) 2010-2012
Title: Twist-1 Mediated Regulation of Multipotential Mesenchymal Stem Cell Self-Renewal and Cell Fate Determination. Principal Investigators: S. Gronthos, A.C.W. Zannettino
National Health & Medical Research Council, Project Grant #627143 (AUD $769,875) 2010-2012
Project Grant title: Generation of induced pluripotent stem (iPS) cells and their potential use in periodontal regeneration. Principal Investigators: P. M. Bartold, S.Gronthos, P. Zilm, Andrew Laslett
National Health & Medical Research Council, Project Grant # 626911 (AUD $583,500) 2010-2012
Title: Is Hypoxia Inducible Factor-2 (HIF-2) the "Trigger" of the "Angiogenic Switch" in Multiple Myeloma? Principal Investigators: ACW Zannettino, S Gronthos, J-P Levesque, D Peet, LB To.
National Health & Medical Research Council, Project Grant #565176 (AUD $565,000) 2009-2011. Title: The Role of Eph/ephrin Interactions in Mediating Mesenchymal Stem Cell Commitment, Migration and Bone Fracture Repair. Principal Investigators: S. Gronthos, S. Koblar, K. Matsuo.
National Health & Medical Research Council Project Grant # 508000 (AUD $533,751) 2008-2010.
Title: Mechanisms of premature cranial fusion: role of retinol binding protein 4 in osteogenesis and suture fusion. Principal Investigators: Powell B, Anderson P, Zannettino A, Gronthos S, David D
Australian Stem Cell Centre, Project Grant (AUD $206,000) 2010-2011. Project Grant title: Charaterization and Utilization of iPS Cells for Dental Regeneration. Principal Investigators: P. M. Bartold, S.Gronthos
Australian Dental Research Foundation 22/2009 (AUD $6,400) 2010. Title: Identification and characterization of novel cell surface markers that are essential for periodontal ligament stem cell phenotype. Investigators: Wada N, Gronthos S, Zilm P, Bartold PM
Centre for Stem Cell Research, Robinson Institute, University of Adelaide Collaborative Grant ($75,000) 2010. Project: Efficacy of intravenous versus intracerebral injection of stem cells for brain repair. Investigators: SA Koblar and S Gronthos
Mesoblast Ltd. Melbourne Vic. ($706,796) 2008-12.
Title: Development of mesenchymal precursor cell therapeutic strategies for cardiac and orthopaedic applications. Investigators: Gronthos S. andZannettino ACW
Australian Dental Research Foundation 60/2010 (AUD $7,000.00) 2011.
Project: Investigation of periodontal ligament stem cell self renewal, survival and tissue regeneration in vivo.
Investigators: Mrozik K, Gronthos S, Bartold PM
Australian Dental Research Foundation 64/2010 (AUD $7,943.00) 2011.
Project: The use of human gingival fibroblasts as the feeder layer for iPS cells
Investigators: Hynes K, Mrozik K, Gronthos S, Bartold PM