RMN, DPSN, BA(Hon), MSc, PGDE, PhD.
Mike has 30 years practice experience in mental health nursing, and has published a number of chapters and publications in mental health and nursing. He arrived in Australia in 2001 and was employed as a Lecturer in Forensic Mental Health for the University of Adelaide. Mike was the winner of the South Australian Nurse Excellence Awards 2013. He completed his PhD at the University of Adelaide whilst working as the Advanced Clinical Services Coordinator of the Forensic Mental Health Service of South Australia. The research training focused on perpetrator induced traumatic stress and included interviewing forensic mental health patients and prisoners about Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and other comorbid disorders. Participants explored events such as homicide and it included the use of the following clinical assessment and research tools:
- Aggression Questionnaire (Buss & Perry 1992)
- AUDIT: Alcohol Use Disorders Identification Test (World Health Organisation)
- Brief Psychiatric Rating Scale BPRS - 18 (Overall & Gorham 1962)
- Centre for Epidemiological Studies Depression Scale (CES-D) (Radloff 1977)
- Childhood Trauma and Household Experience Questionnaire
- Composite International Diagnostic Interview – CIDI
- Clinician Administered PTSD Scale CAPS
- Dynamic Appraisal of Situational Aggression (DASA) (Ogloff & Daffern 2006)
- Family beliefs – Measure of Parenting Style (MOPS)
- Feedback Questionnaire (patient’s experience of the research)
- Global Assessment of Functioning (GAF)
- Impact of Events Scale – Revised IES-R (Weiss & Marmar 1997)
- The Impact of Event Scale - Revised
- MINI (suicidality) (Sheehan et al. 1998)
- Past Feelings of Aggression - Acts of Violence (Plutchik & van Praag 1990)
- PTSD Checklist (Civilian Version) PCL-C (Weathers et al. 1993)
- Recent Life Events – adapted 21 item version (Brugha et al. 1985)
- Risk Assessment – Adelaide Metro Mental Health Version – paper based.
- SF-12 Health Survey (Ware, Kosinski & Keller 1996)
- Somatic and Psychological Health Report SPHERE-34 (Hickie et al. 2001)
- TDQ- Traumatic Dissociation Questionnaire (Murray, Ehlers & Mayou 2002)
- The World Assumptive Scale (WAS) (Janoff-Bulman, Ronnie 1989)
Mike also completed a Masters in Health Promotion, Research and Policy Change at John Moores University in England, and his Master’s thesis was on human aggression. He is a qualified Nurse Tutor following the completion of a Post Graduate Diploma in Education at the University of Manchester. Mike was the South Australian representative for the National Expert Advisory Panel for Forensic Mental Health.
Musker, M (2013) Part 3 (p28): Stories from Consumers, Carers and Clinicians: Mike’s Story In: Nizette D., Mcallister, M., Marks, P. Stories in Mental Health: Reflection Inquiry Action. Mosby - Elsevier.
Musker, M (2008) Chapter: Leading, Motivating and Enthusing In: Crowther et al, Nurse Managers, A guide to Practice 2nd Ed. Ausmed Publications, Melbourne.
Musker, M (2007) Chapter 6: Living with Learning Disability In: Mcallister, M. Solution Focused Nursing, Rethinking Practice. Palgrave Macmillan.
Musker, M, Jordan, Z. & Rowan, N (2005) Forensic Mental Health: Solving the human puzzle. Pacesetters Magazine Dec. Vol 2: No. 4: Joanna Briggs Institute.
Musker, M. (2001) Mental illness. Chapter 14 in Dale, C., Thompson, T. & Woods, P. (eds) Forensic Mental Health Issues in Practice. Bailliere Tindall, London.
Musker, M. (2001) Learning disability. Chapter 15 in Dale, C., Thompson, T. & Woods, P. (eds) Forensic Mental Health Issues in Practice. Bailliere Tindall, London.
Musker, M. (2000) Social skills training. Chapter 18 in Thompson, T. & Mathias, P. (eds) Lyttle’s Mental Health & Disorder 3rd Ed. Bailliere Tindall, London.
Musker, M. (2000) Aggression management. Chapter 24 in Thompson, T. & Mathias, P. (eds) Lyttle’s Mental Health & Disorder 3rd Ed. Bailliere Tindall, London.
Musker, M. (1998) Standards & learning disabilities. Chapter 11 in Thompson,T. & Mathias.P. (eds) The Care Programme Approach. Bailliere Tindall, London.
Musker, M. (1997) Demystifying the Internet: a guide for nurses. Nursing Standard, Dec 3rd, Vol.12 No.11, pp.44-47.
Musker, M. (1997) Exercising Holism Toward Positive Mental Health. Positive Mental Health and its Promotion. Liverpool John Moores University.
Musker, M. & Byrne, M. (1997) Applying empowerment in mental health practice. Nursing Standard, April 23rd, Vol.11 No.31, pp45-47.
Musker,M. (1992) Making contact. Nursing Times, Nov 18th, Vol.88, No. 47, pp.31-33.
- Mental Health, Holistic Health, Intellectual Disability
- Depression, PTSD and other mental health issues
- Substance Abuse
- Obesity and nutrition
- Resilience and Wellbeing